Re: [RC] Old endurance horse lameness - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Update & clarifications:

Anti-biotics were: Tribrissen 960 mg. This vet gave me 50. (He's notorious for
that). I gave 12 per dose rather than his 5, then got another 50, so he got 5
days of that before I ran out *again*. I think 10 days would have made more
sense.

He's on his feet mostly now. I think maybe he was enjoying the sun Saturday
when he was down so much because yesterday when it rained he stayed up all day
(I put a rain sheet on him, he has no barn just some woods.) He is getting 2
bute tabs twice a day.  I'm crushing the bute & anti-biotics and giving them in
yogurt. Any chance that yogurt would work for a horse as a probiotic?

I take care of this horse on a daily basis. He's retired in a field across the
street from me and I give him the food his owner buys so he's not mine to
decide on, but if he were mine I would not throw good money after bad on
x-rays, etc.  He doesn't seem to be in that much pain, still working his way
from one end of the field to the other through the day, has maintained
dominance over the young Arab in the field so I'm adopting a little bit of a
wait and see to see if something like an abscess does appear, but would not let
this go on indefinitely.

Yes, there are fire ants in the field.  It's been pretty cold already so I
wouldn't expect a snake. Kick might be possible but the gradual onset didn't
fit that very well.

The horse has been pastured with "his mare" for about 19 years. The mare is
just as old, very sway backed, but still comes in at a gallop. She will have a
buddy if he's gone but I have a feeling the owner had really hoped they'd sort
of be ready to leave on the same day.

Angie