Re: [RC] Old endurance horse lameness - Sandy Adams

All of this is VERY useful information for anyone dealing with an aged horse who is in such a condition. If I were in this position (which may come to me soon since we have two horses in their mid and late 20s), I would hope that last sentence would not be said. I don't know anyone who deliberately tortures their horse in this case; rather, most people who are in this position are indeed trying to care for their horse, and "save" him. All of the information is enough to indicate that "Saving" this horse means doing that act of compassion - the most compassionate thing to do - say goodbye. Knowing that we will again have this decision to make sometime in the not so distance future.... I would not want to hear that last. Compassion includes the human. I, too, would put this horse down, and would have a few friends or family there to help me say goodbye. Why? Because after all attempts to retrieve a quality of life for my horse proved less than useful - for my HORSE - I would also need the compassion, and I think anyone who has shared a bond with a horse over any number of years would also. So dear, yes, say goodbye to your friend, and let him go , knowing that while you won't really ever replace that partner, another partner will come along - perhaps of a spicier mindset or a more soul-searching character. Just wait. It will come. For now, you ARE saving your partner by saving him from pain. You have a lot of support from people you don't even know, who have been where you are now. Shoot, and will be again someday soon! Take care. We care!