[RC] re: canter and fees - Cindy Collins

Great idea on the distances and fees, Angie. I know that several ride managers have done this! Sure makes life easier for the manager.

As to the canter leads, I've had some horses who would swap on their own, but others who were very one sided and would stay on one lead even in turns to the opposite direction. They really needed to work on their weaker lead and needed the rider to dictate. I think the rider dictating can also be a part of "listen to me cause I (the rider) am in charge" that some
strong horses need. It keeps their minds occupied and keeps them more supple and listening. Depending on the terrain, I'd try to change every half mile or so and with any significant changes in direction on the trail. Out here, this isn't a big issue, as the terrain doesn't allow you to just gallop forever in most places.

As part of this whole equitation discussion, I had a great dressage lesson last night on my mare. For her, submission, rthym and relaxation are 90% of the focus. We did lots of walk to trot to walk transitions on both bends, some surpentines, and quarter lines then side passing to the rail at both a walk and a trot. It takes about 15 mins of work to get past spooking at every possible Arab eater and trying to run through my hands and seat while sucking her tail :) , but then we had some wonderful moments working on both of our bodies! I'll never "like" an arena, but it's surely why I'm able to continue riding these hot horses despite age and infirmity.
Cindy

"Here's the big news...I plan to have a flat fee...any distance, same price. If
you want the most bang for you buck...do the 75! :-))"

Angie