[RC] 25/50/75/100 - Chris Littlefield

Also known as “The Climb” in my book.

I started this wonderful sport competing in 25’s, often Top 10 and even BC’d but then it became less of a challenge and I wanted more. So, I started competing in 50’s. I truly enjoy most 50’s but I wanted to see if I had the determination, the fortitude, the gumption even to compete in a 100. So, I took advantage of the 75 mile ride at Goethe last year, and we survived. I even had fun but I was TIRED and I think my horse was also. But we were both good and no more worse for wear than a tough 50.

My second 75 was the most challenging ride I have ever done but not due to the terrain but due to mental challenges. Once again we survived, no worse for wear but so very thankful to see the finish line.

Sooo, we went to the Old Dominion. We signed up for the 100. And we FINISHED. No, we weren’t first but we weren’t last either. We had a good ride and now I am looking forward to trying the 100 at Leatherwood and hoping Angie works out the logistics to offer a 75 at Longstreet. She’s trying to figure out how to get enough trail in without having to navigate the real rocky terrain. If you were to ask me, it’s all new trail if we do it backwards …but I’m weird like that.

I’m glad the various distances have been offered. I wouldn’t have tried the 50 without trying the 25 first and so on. And I agree with Julie, you have to have the DESIRE to move further up. You and your horse CAN do it. And if you don’t, at least you tried and that’s more than most people will ever do.

Chris