[RC] Horse Insurance...recommendations? - Natalie Herman

Well, that little bit last week about horse insurance instead of AERC having a "medical fund" was timely... I just got a stallion (in partnership with a friend) that is worth more than my usual backyard mutt ponies and we are wanting to look at both Major Medical (sorry, but if the backyarders needed colic surgery, they will go to horsey heaven :(...) and Mortality/Loss of use (since he'll also be used for breeding later). I didn't think I could afford insurance, but with all of us paying, and after seeing some of you quote stuff like "only 500$/yr" (I thought it was at least 3X's that!), I think it would be doable. Sooooo...those of you with insurance, who do you use and what are your average rates vs what you get (some said 5K med, some said 10K....etc...)?
  Thanks!
    Natalie

“Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.
It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.”

–Ralph Waldo Emerson.