[RC] Other AHA 100 Mile Notable Acheivements and Congratulations. - paul

At the AHA 100 Mile National Championship ride earlier this week, there was
another nice achievement. Remember what you were doing in 1998?  Well That was
the last time Karren Beason completed a 100 mile ride. Karren has ridden
Endurance for many years and has over 14,500 lifetime miles. In fact her AERC
Membershp number is.... 11.... That is eleven.. no Zeros.   In recent years a
health issue had cut back her miles quite a bit, and she has gradually built up
her and her horse's strength until this past Tuesday, and into Wednesday.
Karren rode as an open AERC rider in the 100 mile ride at Lake Carl Blackwell.
She never threatened the leaders, but rode to Finish. As any experienced rider,
she had some issues to deal with during the ride and overcame them. Her night
vision is somewhat limited these days , and her nephew who was riding with her
as her eyes was pulled at 50 miles. However, Karren continued and completed.
She is an inspiration to those who feel 100's are too tough for
them.

She is also an inspiration for those who believe that to Finish is to Win, and
showed how even at a National level championship ride, our sport still has room
for ordinary regular riders. Ok. maybe people who have a day job, and are....
ummmm....somewhat  over ummmmm 30 years old?,  and complete 100 mile rides on a
tough course  are not really ordinary.  (I first met Karren when I  did my
first  25 mile training ride. It was rough. rocky hilly Ozark mountain country,
and I thought I was dying. She rode it and ponied another horse the entire 25
miles. I was too ashamed to quit, so kept on going. That is what got me into
Endurance). She is currently in second place in the Central Region Point
standings for this year as a Middleweight rider.

Congratulations.

Paul N. Sidio
(With way less than 14,500 AERC lifetime miles)
Spokane MO