Re: [RC] Emergency Treatment Fund (was: Research Committee News...) - stephanie teeter

and this would be on top of the $3 per rider increase so that AERC can outsource it's drug testing program to USEF.

and I agree with Kat that AERC shouldn't be in the business of collecting and selectively dispersing funds for treating horses - how are the funds allocated? by whom? to whom?  - by region? by month? must a committee decide, the ride vet? who keeps track of funds that are available?

Steph

On Oct 23, 2009, at 10:18 AM, Nancy Mitts wrote:

Has it been even 2 months since all the anguished gnashing of teeth over AERC's looming budget deficit? Remember the one that ballooned from $30,000 to over $100,000?  The one that necessitated raising some fee and programs to be cut? The one that had ride managers stomping their feet that increased sanctioning and rider fees would put their entry fees out of reach of too many riders? Remember the dire predictions about more fee increases and cuts if membership continues to fall and ride entries decrease? And now the board will seriously consider a proposal for yet another $3 mandatory fee?  Only $3 here and only $3 there and pretty soon yer talkin' about real money.
Nancy Mitts
"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
Four.     Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
  -- Abraham Lincoln

Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 06:51:32 -0700

I give the AERC directors enough credit to know that a DIY insurance program is not a good idea.  Just because it may be complicated doesn't mean we don't consider the idea.

If, philosophically, you are opposed to the group helping people who don't have the rainy day fund to provide for treatment, remember that it is the horse that pays the ultimate price, not the human who didn't plan ahead.  $3.00 doesn't bother me if it helps the horses.  Not only do I "feel good," but what is learned from that treatment or surgery may save other horses.  Until the vets are convinced that they know what is going on with the fit, conservatively ridden horse that suddenly "goes south," I want them to do as many treatments and surgeries as the owners will permit.  Much to gain and $3.00 to lose.

Barbara

Windows 7: Simplify your PC. Learn more.