[RC] Emergency Treatment Fund (was: Research Committee News...) - k s swigart

Elizabeth Walker said;

Concern #3: Really good idea of a rider-supplied
?emergency fund for helping to subsidize the cost
?of emergency surgery. (yes - more fees, but I am
?all for this one.)
?
While, on the surface, this may sound like a "good idea" to some people...it
really probably is not.? Even if you are not opposed to the idea because you
think that riders should be responsible for the cost of treatment of their own
horses, you should be opposed to the idea because it would be fool-hardy, to
say the least, for the AERC to become an insurance company.
?
Which is what this proposal amounts to.? Collecting fees (premiums) from a
large pool to cover possible risks of a minority of the people being collected
from is the definition of insurance.
?
If anybody needs a list of reasons (of which there are many) that the AERC
should not get into the business of underwriting emergency medical insurance
for endurance horses, I am willing to provide them....but I would hope that
these reasons would be obvious.
?
One of the most obvious one being:? WHO is going to play the role of insurance
adjuster?
?
I would hope that nobody would be crazy enough to think that you can underwrite
insurance without having somebody in that role.? But if the AERC management
doesn't realize that you have to have an insurance adjuster if you are an
insurance company, then all the more reason for AERC NOT to get into the
insurance business.? People who know how to run insurance companies know that
you need insurance adjusters.? So if you don't know that you need an inurance
adjusters, you don't know enough to know how to run an insurance company...so
you shouldn't try to do it.
?
The only responsible way for the AERC to have such a "fund" would be for the
organization to get a quote from real insurance companies on what such coverage
would cost and then buy it from one of them...and charge the necessary fees to
cover the cost.?
?
DIY would be really dumb.
?