[RC] 60 to 30 minute rule...please stay informed.! - Lisa Salas - Lisa Salas

Well Elizabeth, I guess my point about the insurance part was not very clear. If the vet committee says only a very small number of horses are crashing, and the WHC says only a very small number of horses are dying and nothing stands out as to why except most deaths are from issues that could not have been predicted, then to ask the membership to pay for treatments doesn't make sense. If it isn't that big of a problem, why do they need to collect money for it??

As to your comment that all horse owners should have insurance, that is?their?choice. That means everyone else needs to mind?their?own?business. If I decide not to have it, or can't afford it, why should you pick up the tab? If I don't have insurance and ?my horse needs treatment, and the vets ok's it, and I get $5000 for surgery, who is going to pay for the rest of the bill? I?guarantee?if your horse is going to the hospital, $5000 will be the minimum. I have taken a few horses to UF and they want a credit card up front. You can write a check in the end, but they want money before they do anything. I?have had 2 horses with eye problems that cost more than that, each.?

So, if people don't want to treat?their?horses or can't for financial reasons, that is?their?business. AERC should not make the membership pay for some of a bill and then stick the owner with the rest of the bill when they didn't have the money to begin with. I do believe the vet committee also said the owner would pay the 1st $1500 before they would put anything into the pot. That is a crap load of money. If the owner doesn't want to pay it, then everyone else has to MYOB.

Paying for the treatment of a horse is not research and it will not prevent other horses from needing treatment or dying.?

Lisa Salas, the odd fArm