Re: [RC] Riding Vest - desertrydr1

Although many vests aren't certified by ASTM and SEI, the better ones are certified under a British system that is similar.  I wish I could remember which of the vest websites I found the info about the British certification method, will try to find it.  DON'T get one that is certified for jockeys, they aren't very protective at all.

I started looking for a vest when my mule bucked me off about a month ago.  Did some serious soft tissue damage to my thoracic area, but nothing broken.  Of course, soft tissue damage can be just as painful, and take a lot longer to heal.  I look with great longing at the Aerowear Outlyne vests, but my budget is more suited to the cheaper ones.  jeri

-----Original Message-----
From: scswag@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, Oct 21, 2009 8:57 am
Subject: Re: [RC] Riding Vest

I found this article in Perfect Horse (John Lyons) a good resource for riding vests. My issues came days after it was brought up during the last discussion on helmets and I thought it was very informative.

http://www.myhorse.com/blogs/john_strassburger/august_2009/not_all_crash_vests_are_the_same.aspx?ht=

If the link does not work go to www.myhorse.com and do a search on chest protectors

Susan