Re: [RC] How long to heal a squashed but not broken leg? - Don Huston

Hello Alexis,

Very scary and you were very lucky. 2-3 years ago I came off at the trot when my horse spooked and I slammed the top of my thigh into something? By the time I rode home 3 miles I had a lot of swelling around the knee from blood collecting there and the thigh muscle hurt like hell. I alternated hot (heating pad) and cold (ice and water in big ziplock) in sets of 5. Hot, cold, hot, cold, hot about 20 min each. I did those sets 2-3 times a day for 2 days and took 2 Tylenol every 3 hrs. The swelling went down a lot. Day 3, I have DMSO 90% in a roll-on applicator, I put a lot of DMSO on the thigh and around the knee. Then I take a medium sized towel soaked in very warm water and place it on the leg. It immediately gets much warmer then cools down. After 5-10 minutes I washed off with just clean water. I'm a surveyor and do a lot of walking for my job so I went back to work on day 3. I did the DMSO morning and night for a couple days and then that was it. I did not ride for at least a month (can't remember but it was quite a while) because the leg hurt. I could walk fine but until the muscle quit hurting walking uphill or up stairs riding was not an option because it was my left leg, the one I use to mount...duuuhhhh!

I hope you find something that helps you heal.

Don Huston