[RC] How long to heal a squashed but not broken leg? - alexis_mills

On Saturday I tried to ride a supposedly "well broke" Arab/Saddlebred mare who reared as soon as I mounted and went over sideways, coming down on my right leg. No fractures, thanks in part, I'm sure, to my fat butt and thighs, but the leg feels seriously damaged. If anyone else has had a similar injury, I'd like to hear how long it took to heal, what kind of therapy you used, etc. I was referred by the ER to an orthopedic surgeon for follow-up but have no health insurance or money for surgery, so... any help/advice would be appreciated.