Re: [RC] re: mares - desertrydr1

I'm not sure why, but I've always prefered mares.  I had 7 horses a couple of years ago, 6 were mares or fillies.  I was only riding three of them, so I can't make a generalization about riding mares.  What I've found with the 2 mares I've conditioned and done rides on is that if the mare is in work, she doesn't seem to be as marish.  A friend had a mare that every time she came in heat, she would stand and lean her butt against whatever was handy, and was hard to get her to even move.  That was after she retired from endurance.  When she was doing endurance, you wouldn't have known she was in heat.

Like others have mentioned, choose the horse that fits best with you.  jeri