[RC] riding mares - Michelle Aquilino

When I was looking for my first horse, I was "only" looking at geldings.? I looked at this mare out of convenience, since she was down the street from a friend, and this friend encouraged me to look at her just to build some experience looking at horses.? I fell in love with her, and ended up with a mare...? In the two and a half years I've had her, there have only been a handful of times where she's been acting "marish" to the point where I just didn't want to deal with her, ha ha.? But in general, she's very even-tempered.? I have heard from a lot of people that mares also take better care of themselves on the trail in general, and I have found this to be true with my mare as well.? While she likes to ride with other horses, if she needs a drink, it doesn't matter if horses are leaving.? If she needs to pee, she stops and pees.? If she's tired, she slows down and lets the other horses run off ahead.? If the horse is a good fit for you, it won't matter what gender they are, just have fun out on the trail ;-)

-- "Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"