Re: [RC] Give something a bad name and it'll live up to it. - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Well Marv....I would like to think this theory works.  And it is a sound one.  But for some strange reason...."Cash Pony" sounds "nice and sweet" to me.  But for some reason...that boy still acts more like "Raptor".

Jody

--- On Mon, 10/5/09, Marv Walker <marv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Marv Walker <marv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] Give something a bad name and it'll live up to it.
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 4:20 PM

Some years ago my horse/business partner and I were doing a three day
clinic in New York.  There were some people there auditing who had a
horse of unsavory reputation who didn't get signed up in time to make
the limit.  Numerous times during the three days they said something along
the lines of, "Lightning would have your number.   He would not fall into
line that easily."

My partner tired of hearing the remarks suggested during the last hour
or so that they go get the horse.  He was a large TWH/AQHA and I
worked with him about 15 minutes and I could not find any sign of the
antics they claimed.  They were surprised by his attitude.

I suggested they change his name and they asked to what and I said,
"Buddy."  They said, "Buddy it is."

Several days after we arrived back home I got an email from his owners
telling me how well he was doing and they were no longer looking to sell
him.  He had turned into their perfect horse.  She ended with "I can't
believe the difference a name makes."

If you name your horse after a traumatic event, a weather pattern or
Satan himself you can expect every one who comes near it to be
subconsciously wary and suspicious.  The horse will pick up on it and
act accordingly.  If you name a horse Sugar, Lovey, Sweety, Baby or the
like everyone who approaches it will approach it openly and the horse
will respond accordingly.

Marv "Just walk up there and give Ol' Killer a big kiss on the lips!" Walker
Horse Info & Training DVDs ~ http://MarvWalker.com