[RC] re: awards - Michelle Aquilino

Angie makes some excellent points (and makes me feel less guilty, as a newbie, for caring about my t-shirts!? ha ha).
?
I love how she says she designs her t-shirts thinking about what someone would want if it were their first ride =)? This is why I was particularly disappointed with the OD awards this year, since it was my friend's first ride.? A lot of people want something to remember and show off their accomplishment with ;-)? The "culture" of completion awards may slowly change, but right now I suppose I'll admit that I like getting ride t-shirts.? I don't have too many yet, and still don't have enough!? I wear them on my conditioning rides and out to the barn in general.? If you're creative with them, get them made into a quilt or something for your horse, they can be useful to everyone!? Other possible awards are not necessarily useful to everyone.? I like t-shirts =)? hehe.? Though the photo award is good too.? Please though, if possible, put the ride name, distance, and year on the t-shirt, the latter two are so rare now!
?
The only "problem" I have with awards that involve tack is that most people have color schemes of some sort (please don't throw stones at me, lol), I don't see myself switching out my tack very regularly, only when something wears out (but I guess the award could be a backup, but I would want more from my award, ha ha).? Engraved blankets, coolers, crew bags, etc, don't really matter as much if they match, and are really nice!? Buckets and chairs are also good.? Anything that's useful with the name of the ride & award on it somewhere.? I have a horrible memory, and if it's just something random, I'll forget pretty soon which ride it came from... =(
?
I agree with Angie on people giving out t-shirts before the ride.? Whenever that happens, I'm like "ok, I guess it doesn't matter what happens tomorrow, ha ha"? (well, not seriously, but you know what I mean).? It makes it so you don't really get a "completion" award...? It's different.
?
Anyway, Angie is awesome, and I am even more set on going to one of her rides now ;-)? ha ha.? Long drive...? Hope she has a turtle award ready for me! ;-)
?
-Michelle

-- "Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die"