Re: [RC] VC 100 and choking horses - Sisu West Ranch

"...  If it's a rare thing, any theories as to why it happened to a few horses ..."

Occam's* razor would predict that this is a statistical anamoly.   When you have a rare event, statistically sometimes the event clusters.  Such things should cause an examination to see if they are in fact random, but most times no cause is found.

If indeed there was a cause, like the ride being in the desert, then looking at past ride results would show a pattern.  Because folk who know much more about statistics have been looking at pulls etc. and not found a pattern, my tentative conclusion is that it is just the luck of the draw.

My Grandfather, who came from a family who owned vaudeville theaters before 1920, was firmly convinced that show business deaths always came in groups of three.  Obviously, this is just a statistical fluke.  The human mind is all set up to find patterns (there were 3 shooters on the grassy knoll etc.) even where there are none.  There was a recent short article in the Scientific American editorializing about this.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875