RE: [RC] from a turtle's perspective - Maryben Stover

>From my perspective.  Karen Chaton, Trilby and I galloped the last mile to camp and crossed the finish line with 5 minutes to spare a few years ago.  As we hit the last 1/4 mile we had to go near where the banquet was.  Everyone was already eating.  They cheered as we went by.  This was my first ride in two years after smashing my knee.  We pretty much missed the entire dinner and awards and did not feel in the least slighted.  I have top tenned, come in last, and sometimes on 100's had to go find a vet.  I have never felt slighted in the least.  I am just glad they are around somewhere.  Ride vets, volunteers and RM's are saints in my book and I am just glad they put on rides cause I hope to do another one eventually.

Being part of ride management, I have had to fight off the riders who have finished around Noon and want their awards, want to have dinner started, need to go home because they are tired, and on and on and on.  I have had top ten people want to know if I can hurry up and figure out BC because they want to go home.

There are points to both sides but I tend to side with the management people and volunteers more.  After all, the rider gets to go ride their horse all day.

As my good friend Ruthie Waltenspiel says, "The ride is the prize.".........................mb

From: glea6826@xxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] from a turtle's perspective
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:13:07 -0400

To finish is to win..And all finishers should be treated as winners...and not having to seek out a vet at the end of a 50 mile ride/race..and having dinner and awards started before the 12th hour end of the time allotted. Perhaps, ride management should not post the time of dinner and awards except to say when all riders are finished.. After the 12th hour or before...When all riders have finished the 50 miler and the ride vet has determined the horse is fit to continue.. To give out that final completion and award the horse and rider as being winners. Then, everyone can begin the party that it is finally over and let the celebration begin... Buddy

Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digital tv's. Click here.