[RC] Managing risk...was Helmets - Lynn White

I’m a Libertarian by nature and hate being told what to do by a bunch of
elitist do-gooders.  Helmet wearing for riding is a choice for adults.
Frankly, I prefer to ride with people sporting brain buckets, but that’s just
me.

That being said, I thought it best to share my logic on why I wear a helmet:

1.)     I passed high school physics and have first hand knowledge of the
following equation:  F=ma.
2.)     I’ve spent hours in training classes which focused on “Risk
Management.”
3.)     I’d never be able to live with myself knowing the Life Flight
helicopter called out for my head trauma caused even one horse to spook.
4.)     Helmets are way less expensive than a week in the ICU.
5.)     I’d rather have a cowboy tell me I looked like an idiot than actually
become one  (one can take that either way).
6.)     A major head trauma would likely erase all my good memories, leaving me
with just the crappy ones.

Actually, I yearn for the olden days of hockey BEFORE mandatory helmets because
they played more and fought less.  As far as all the team contact sports,
helmets are mandatory because the probability of experiencing head trauma and
head cuts is very high in these sports.  With all the blood borne diseases out
now it’s a good thing helmets are mandatory for everyone in contact sports.
Even then, players still get serious concussions.  Remember that the head can
only experience a certain number of concussions in a lifetime…kind of like
radiation exposure.

Lynn