RE: [RC] helmet thread - Susan

I guess if I had children and refuse to wear a helmet I’d make sure I had plenty of long term care insurance and high life insurance. That is not sarcasm that is my wish for you because of personal knowledge of the need. The insurance is to take care of your children in case you are in the hospital plus long term in case of a head injury. When it comes to my health I will do everything possible to protect myself. I wear a helmet mountain bike riding and horseback riding. I always wear my seat belt and have air bags in both cars. I realize nothing in life is guaranteed and even seat belts and air bags can cause problems, however, I’d rather take my chances on using whatever protection I can provide myself then to wonder why I didn’t and something happened. But then that is me.

I figure if one person decides to wear there helmet because of the responses on this email list then the discussion has been worth it.  If you choose not to wear a helmet for whatever reason it is your choice.

Susan

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kathie Ford
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:35 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] helmet thread

Well, I don't wear a helmet w/my mare because I just don't want to. My choice. Period. I do however support the use of others wearing them and made my kids wear them too, although at times I found their helmets hidden in the bushes which wasn't good and they did get in trouble for that. No helmet no riding. I do make my husband wear one because he is a novice rider and his horse can be silly sometimes.  My girls that ride are all in their 20's and make their own decisions. I'd like to see them wear one, and sometimes they do...but it is still their choice too.

I know they are important, and protect the head.to a point..but they don't protect the neck or spine area at all.. the bottom line is it is an individual's choice. I will use a helmet w/some of my younger horses but not w/my endurance mare. My younger horses are on short rides and very local or at home.

Once when I did wear a helmet, years ago, during a schooling session and doing some very minor jumping over caveletti's, my horse shied and I slid right down her neck (had given her a bath and she was TOO clean!)...My head hit the ground slightly and went one way, my neck went the other..I heard 3 distinctive cracks from my neck. Ended up somehow doing a flip and ended up on my feet in a squatting position. Anyway, my thoughts DURING my fall right when my neck cracked were "these darn helmets don't protect the neck!"

I have to also say I get a little mad when people suggest people that make the choice not to wear one as I do, that we are vain. That is hog wash!  There are many reasons. My choice to not wear a helmet is because I cannot hear well with one, especially in the woods), I get horrible headaches from the heat to the point of my eyes not being able to focus, and it has been very tough to even find one that will fit. Last time I wore a helmet was on Tevis. I had a Tippeary. I was absolutely miserable in that helmet so I sold it. My head was so hot and hurt so bad I couldn't think straight. So back off it came.

None the less, it is nice that people care enough to want all persons to wear them...but we don't need this issue policed. We are policed enough in so many ways now.

One of my friends the other day was not wearing a helmet and had a terrible horse accident. But, as her daughter said, a helmet would not have protected her pelvis, which she fractured in 4 places.

You just never know.

Additionally, for me personally, when my time comes to leave this earth I have no desire to stick around or try to extend my life in any way. No heroics or anything. I'm a DNR. My family knows and respects my wishes as my own personal choice.

So we should just leave it at that. To each their own choices and go on to another subject.

kathie