I had a serious head injury once that a helmet didn't help with. My friend suggested I ride with a football-like helmet to protect my face. I thought I would look REALLY silly, like Freddie from Friday the 13th or something on horseback, so I declined. (Not to mention, if I fell on the face protector, I'd probably break my neck).

Helmets are like seat belts, they will probably help protect you in certain situations but are no guarantee of anything. For me they are available, and I know my bones aren't as bouncy as they used to be, so I always put them on.

Juniors should, however, be required to wear helmets at rides (which they are).

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Dyane Smith <sunibey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A friend of mine volunteers for a big city posse.? They do parades and other events and ride a lot on pavement, but they are considered "out of uniform" if they put on a helmet.? Protecting the public, but not themselves.
?
Dyane
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Helmet ?

"...Is that more a tendency to ride without an helmet on the west coast?..."
?
The macho image of the wild west cowboy is alive and well here in Montana.? Lots of folk make all sorts of excuses, but it always comes down to "I am to macho, someone may think I am a sissy."
?
Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road