[RC] re: helmets - Cindy Collins

Unless they are a kid and can't conceive, yet, their mortality, or the possibility of a life in a wheel chair...I assume they have major issues with their own self worth and/or value and need therapy. They also are making a statement about whether or not they care about their loved ones.

And, of course, a helmet will NOT prevent all injuries, though the Tipperary is much better at protecting the back of the head. You can break your neck or back and all the helmets in the world won't help. However, I've cracked two helmets and have several friends who have cracked theirs. I have a dear friend who died on the pavement on main street in Cody. She always wore a helmet. She was an eventer. But, she was in a parade and dressed as a Sacajawea and refused to use a saddle, bridle or helmet, even though she was on a very hot horse. I was standing on the side walk about 25 ft from where her head hit the pavement. I can still hear her screaming for help when her horse bolted and still hear the sound when her head hit. Her husband was the attending doctor at the ER which she arrived. I was already pretty fanatical about people I love wearing helmets, but that just firmed up my feelings. I don't want mandatory rules, but I also wish we didn't need seat belt or speed laws. Apparently, common sense isn't so common even when we know better. CC