Re: [RC] Proof through Research - Joe Long

On Sep 16, 2009, at 10:38 AM, Bruce Weary DC wrote:

It is a common strategy here to call for "research" to "prove" that a current practice in endurance riding (in this case vet holds) has either been shown to be effective or not. Knowing that conclusive research findings are rare in our sport, the intent is often to try to show that if there is no bona fide scientific proof for how things are currently being done, that we should then be free to change our methods to a more preferred way of doing things, presumably without worry of any harm from doing so. This is a common mistake in logic, and I found the passage below that may help clarify how science attempts to help us understand our world, and it's limitations as a resource for "proving" things. Calling on science to either support a given position, or to refute another, cuts both ways. I like the phrase near the bottom that says "....what we look for is a preponderance of support for our current belief." In our case, regarding vet holds, that would include veterinary experience and advice, as well as historical success. Doesn't mean that things can't be changed for the better, but how we get there is sometimes a more windy road than it first appears. Enjoy. Bruce Weary

Good point, and it works both ways.

Like any human activity, we have practices that exist only because they are traditional, not because there is no better way or because they've been proven to be the best way.

An example was the change from flat holds to vet gates into holds. There was a lot of resistance to that when the vet gates were first introduced. Again when the CRI was first being tried. And there was a HUGE battle to get "fit to continue" as the criteria for completing a ride.

Changing traditional formats is never easy and will always be met with resistance. We need to be willing to strive to improve even in the face of resistance. The best way is often to try a new approach at some rides and see how it works before trying to mandate it for all rides -- this is how vet gates became accepted.

Back when I was managing rides in the Southeast I tried using 20- minute and 30-minute holds (no more than one of the 30-minute lengths in a 50). I thought they worked great for the horses, but a lot of riders didn't like them. It would be interesting IMO to see some non- Pioneer rides experiment with short holds today.

-- Joe Long jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx