[RC] Gluing On Boots - Dream Weaver

If I can do it, so can you: it is a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Well, I can do it too and have had really good success on rides this year gluing boots on - but I think it's a royal pain in the butt, and not at all healthy for my horses hooves.  I would definitely not call it easy and I don't think that everybody can do it.

I'd much rather put a strap on boot on, ride, then take the boot off.  Gluing boots IMO is just too invasive to do to my horses hooves very often.  It is great for special events like a specific special ride or something but it's too much work and with frequent use will degrade the overall health of a horses hoof.  To me, it's not natural and I keep my horses barefoot for a reason.  I don't like gluing boots on my horses.  Though I still do it, because I think for occasional use like a multiday it's less invasive than nailing a shoe on.  I won't ever leave a glued on boot on a horse again for as long as a full week, and I am definitely going to be more careful about the frequency I do it.  Things are great during the ride but I think that too many riders out there are too new to barefoot and don't have a long term history of knowing their horses hooves to know when there are changes or problems developing, or even that there are issues cropping up.

A rider/farrier pointed out to me at the last ride the horrible hoof shapes that many of the horses had that were using glue-on boots.  I think that there needs to be a lot more education on what a natural bare hoof should look like.  If I had to glue boots on for every endurance ride I would go back to shoeing.  I think that gluing boots on for extended periods or very often is even more unhealthy for a hoof than leaving shoes on with pads.

This is just my opinion based on my experience - Chief now has well over 6k of his almost 9k lifetime mileage using boots over bare hooves and I've got a few thousand additional miles on other horses doing the same.  I'm not trying to sell any boots.

Karen
http://www.enduranceridestuff.com