Re: [RC] Stifle/Rear Leg Problems? - Elizabeth Walker

Well, this is my opinion only ...

First - I would suggest having a vet look at him. Have him checked for the rear end, and also to get treatment for the fungus. At least you *know* the fungus is irritating him, so get rid of that to eliminate possible complicating factors.

However, yes, I think he might have some rear-end inflammation going on due to the hill work. It might be stifles, or it might be hamstrings. He might also be sore from kicking out at the irritation on the lower legs, and it has nothing to do with the hill work. (yeah - "it depends").

Again, I'm not a vet, so any vets on the list please jump in if this is bad advice.

I would be inclined to assume it is the hill work making him sore, and give him one gram of bute once a day for maybe 3 days, and just hand- walk or easy, flat walk under saddle for 30 - 60 minutes for a week, then do short (1 - 2 hour) flat walk/trot rides for the next week or two. Then go back to some easy conditioning rides. All of this progression assumes that he is OK to pick up legs, has quit kicking, etc. If he can't do that, then I wouldn't up the exercise. Once he is good to go again on the flat, re-introduce the hills, but take it slower.

For the scabbies, you might try a Furazone sweat wrap, or use Mycodex shampoo & spray. The Mycodex is probably easier - follow their directions. For the Furazone wrap, wash the area with an anti- fungal / anti-bacterial shampoo and rinse thoroughly. Then put on Furazone, and cover with plastic wrap. Cover that with a standing wrap, and wrap the other leg as well. Repeat daily until the scabbies are gone.