[RC] NC Hold Times - Naomi Preston

Personally, I liked the 4 hours of hold time at the NC. My horse ate the entire time, and it was HOT (98 degrees at least!), and the horses had a a chance to cool down in the shade and relax.  (and me, too.)  There was no grass on the trail until the last leg, so no grazing.  You have 24 hours to complete a 100 -- minus 4 for holds, leaves 20 hours.  That would require you to do 5 mph on the trail.  I think that is totally doable for most folks.

Another thing to consider is that there can be vet lines at checks (at larger rides).....and with shorter holds, there is sometimes very little time to take care of your horse with short holds.

Naomi