[RC] re: NC hold times - Natalie Herman

>[Lindsay Graham and Monk] finished at 6:58 pm (with start time 5
>am); there were 4 hours of hold time
>so her actual ride time was 9:58 hours....
Ok, not being a 100 miler rider yet, I have a Q...is 4 hrs a normal total hold time for a 100??? I ride fairly slow and to have to spend 4hrs in holds?? I mean 2 1hr holds seem ok, with maybe a few 15 min or one 1/2hr....but 4hrs total?? Maybe I will have to rethink my ideas of trying 100's if I have to spend that much time off trail... I don't even like when some 50's have 2 1hr holds...it wastes so much time I could give my horse on trail when he wants to rest/eat out there...one 1hr or MAYBE a second 1/2hr or better 2 15min ones is plenty... but then of course I spend lots of my "hold" time grazing on the trail, hanging out for 10 mins or so at every water stop, etc...which is why I often turtle a ride and hate spending extra time in too many VC's...though I have been known to stay longer than the hold time IF my horse is still eating or whatnot...
  Nat (really liking multi-day 50's...not sure why I am wanting to try 100's..but maybe
         some day...:) )

“Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.
It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.”

–Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digital tv's. Click here.