[RC] Drag Riders - sherman

Title: Message
I've been a sweep rider on just a couple of rides and one run, so don't have much experience, but I was paired with someone with more experience. We tried to stay far enough behind that we didn't put any pressure on the horses (or runners) in front of us. If they slowed or stopped, we tried to stay almost out of sight. I carry my cell phone, a small human first aid kit, extra water, Emergen-C, packets of sun screen, a multi-tool, ibuprofen or naproxen, vet wrap, small sanitary pad, lead rope, extra scissor snap, strong shoe lace, duct tape (this is wrapped on a flat object, such as flattened tp cardboard cut to the width of duct tape). There are more items, I can't think of right now, but this is a good start. It sounds like a lot, but when you have things stuffed in your fanny pack, saddle bag and tied onto your saddle, it doesn't seem excessive.

As sweep riders, we didn't pull ribbons, but I think a lightweight nylon drawstring bag that could be tied to your saddle would be good to stuff ribbons in. A friend and I did do a separate ribbon pulling a few days after a ride once. Clothespins were used so I clipped the ribbons all over my horse's breastcollar, all along my shirtsleeves and down the front. We were quite a sight. The problem with pulling ribbons as the ride is going on is that if someone takes a wrong turn, then returns to the trail, they may not be able to find their way to the next check or camp.

Hope this helps,
Kathy