From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Melissa Margetts
Sent: Saturday, September 05, 2009 10:46 AM
To: ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Maryanne & Mongol Derby

Maryanne,
   I agree with you that all of the pressure that was put on this company
by the LongRiders, horse welfare groups, and individuals like us from around
the world definitely made a difference in creating "possible" better results
of this race. I say "possible", because even the riders will probably never
know what happened to the horses that they had left behind at the urtuus
then grabbed another one and were immediately off again. I don't believe for
a second that the Adventurists will voluntarily admit to any horse
fatalities or even injuries or lameness. The company leaves a general bad
taste in my mouth too. They were dishonest about this event from the
beginning when they stated on their site and to their benefactors that the
American NGO, VetNet, were currently working with them to choose, give
preliminary vet exams, and would be supplying all the vet care for the
horses before, throughout and after the ride. They were caught in the flat
out LIE when VetNet was contacted by the LongRiders and the NGO gave a
public statement that they didn't even KNOW about this race and were not in
ANY way associated with it nor were supplying ANY vet care for it. Talk
about sending up a "red flag"!
   If it had not been for the pressure put on the Adventurists by all the
opposition about providing qualified and adequate vet care for the horses,
the vets that they were then forced to pull out of their butts and hire from
other countries, would not have even been there. I'm GLAD I spoke up and
added my voice to the others who put pressure on this group if by doing so
helped even ONE horse of the 700 in this race, receive better care and
oversite than if we had not spoken up and forced the veterinary care issue
at all. There is a difference between just wanting to "stir the pot" to
cause trouble and actually intending to create positive change and
compassion for the innocent and sentient beings we profess to love and care
about so much. It should be implicit that it is our responsibility to
protect any being that has the ability to perceive pain that we may inflict
on it due to our own agenda.
   By keeping the whole ride route, urtuu locations and GPS coordinates
shrouded in secrecy to everyone except their own media team, it was clearly
intended to keep outside media from capturing any stories, film footage or
pictures of any terrible mishaps that might have happened on the trail or
document the outcome of the horses. Any organization promoting an event
intended to raise funds for charity would NORMALLY try and DRAW as much
attention and media coverage to the event as possible so they could raise
more funds, NOT keep all media away. The ride location, distance and unique
challenges certainly are a draw for me as an adrenaline junkie and distance
rider myself. It is a ride that I still think could be tweaked and made into
an incredible international endurance ride for those of us who have been
brought into this sport with the focus of the welfare of the horse being
priority. I am still waiting for the endurance ride from coast to coast
across Africa to come to fruition before I am too old to ride it. I can't
help but feel that the criteria that the top equine veterinarians in the
world have researched and decided are in the best interest of the horse are
worth adhering to. That includes conditioning, hoof care and protection,
parasite control, nutrition, soundness and regular vet checks whether it is
in a "race" or a two year mosey across the country. No, the Mongol Derby was
NOT a sanctioned endurance ride of any kind and the Adventurists really
didn't HAVE to supply ANY vet care at all by any International nor Mongolian
law. How they ran a PRIVATE race was not anyones business other than the
Mongolians seeing as how it was their country and their horses. I still
believe that we need to think globally and act morally when it comes to the
beings that we share this planet with. Whenever we can speak up and ACT to
prevent abuse or neglect of any being, then we should.
Melissa Margetts