Re: [RC] Maryanne & Mongol Derby - Beverley H. Kane, MD

As usual, a biting, clever, spot-on post from Kat--the Maureen Dowd of
Ridecamp (writing style, not necessarily politics).

It is rather pathetic to read the ongoing ex post facto as-if post mortem
disparaging of the Mongol Derby. Why are these same people not lambasting
Tevis because, sadly, we (all of us in the sport) lost a horse there just a
few weeks ago?

-Apparently- the horses and people in the Mongol Derby made it through
without serious morbidity or mortality. I trust that if there were any
significantly untoward events, a whistle blower or plain-talking blogger
will emerge from among the competitors, the Mongolians, or someone connected
with the Adventurists.

Until then we should be gracious, not grumbling. To the now chronically
resentful, I say, as to Toby, the dog, "Leave it!"

I applaud the intent, the organization, the supporters, the vets, the
horses, the riders, Barefoot Saddles, the FEI, the UAE and others who gave
their qualified or unqualified benefit of the doubt from day one.

I had prayed that -just one- person and their horses finish as proof of
concept. The fact that the completions were a higher percentage than most
AERC 50-mile rides of any toughness is a gift and a glory. Now I get to
collect on my bet w/ Paul Sidio: a quart of fermented mare's milk, wa'n't
it?

Beverley