Re: [RC] need advice about spooking/bolting - Elizabeth Walker

In his case, I think I would try Sheila's advice. Even if there isn't a hill around (and assuming you can get back on), do so, then work the snot out of him right there in the area where he spooked. Do little circles, backs, canter circles, reverses, whatever. When you are done, let him stand there and process for a minute or so, then start back out at a walk, and continue on.

The other thing you might try in an attempt to avoid the involuntary dismount in the first place is to keep his mind busy in those places where you know he will try this. Break up the trotting with a circle now and then. If it is a field, do some "ring work". If you know some dressage, ask him for shoulder in on one bend, then the other. Do half-pass from one side of the road to the other. Could be he is just a bit bored, and he is trying to, em, "liven things up". :)