Re: [RC] spooking - Barbara McCrary

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 7:09 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] spooking

A few people already said ride the bejesus out of him. But, here are a few more ideas.

Get really, really good at the one-rein stop.

This kind of spook is sideways, 90 degrees from forward motion.  And so quick, I don't see it coming.

Get your self a HITAIR vest just in case.
(my friend from France recommends these vests for riders. She did say to get the male version as the women's version has the canister in the wrong place)

I must have a low center of gravity, because I appear to always land on one hip or the other.

And/or teach your horse to really work off his hindquarters. If you do this your spook will be up and around over the hocks. Much easier to ride. That drop and spin is almost impossible to ride.

Banner doesn't do drop and spin, just jumps sideways...suddenly, powerfully, 6 feet from where he was trotting.  And the interesting thing is that he never did it on an endurance event or a treacherous trail, just around home on open ground or a wide road.

Barbara

Dolores Arste
Author: Conversations With Cadbury
www.zenhorsemanship.com