Re: [RC] spooking - Amber Roberts

Banner doesn't do drop and spin, just jumps sideways...suddenly, powerfully, 6 feet from where he was trotting.  And the interesting thing is that he never did it on an endurance event or a treacherous trail, just around home on open ground or a wide road. Barbara

My Competitive Trail/Endurance horse used to spook that way with me, too.  Gigantic sideways leaps.  I could ride one or two of the leaps, but by the third one, I'd be hanging off his side.  I sold him to a boarder about 6 years ago, a long legged man.  He knew about the spooks and the horse still does this (at age 20) but the man hasn't come off yet.  My Arab used to drop and spin at the trot and I came off him twice.  Then I bought an Australian saddle and (so far) have never come off another horse.  Also, I'm 71, so safety is prime with me now, too.

Amber