[RC] Treed/Treeless--skito! - Mary Krauss

Just wanted to add my two cents to Michellle's Freeform idea. I have yet to find a horse that doesn't enjoy my Freeform--or a rider for that matter. My friends all steal it when we ride together!

The issues I had initially with the saddle were solved by getting a Skito Dryback that is built for the Freeform. It has a super high peak over the withers that forces the saddle to keep it's shape there. Our only problem until then had been my worry that the saddle and pad it came with seemed too tight over the wither. My horses never complained, but I didn't like how tight it pressed there when I'd try to shove a finger between the saddle and their backs. That worry is all gone now though.

The only other thing I've discovered about my Freeform is that my horses are sensitive about where it is placed. The long-backed pony doesn't care as much, but Indy, my taller, thinner mare, wants it about two inches forward of where I've learned to place most saddles on a horse's back. This may be an anomaly of her build, but, boy, she sure lets me know if it's too far back! She kept ducking her head during our Sunriver 100 mile attempt, and I finally thought to ask the buddy I was with where the cinch was. She said, "it's finally back where it ought to be, out of her armpit." I said, "Ooooh, that's the problem." Hopped off, repositioned the saddle so the cinch is IN her armpit, then hopped back on--no problem after that--oh, except we went on to ride the wrong loop. Oops.

Mary K.