Re: [RC] Why do Endurance? (was Why I like horses) - Truman Prevatt

Steph Teeter wrote:

As far as horses - I grew up with them. I got my first pony at 4. My grandfather used to pack me around on his horse when I was younger. My mother rode her horse to school when she was a kid although my mother didn't particularly like horses it was the way she got to school when the weather permitted. My grandmother didn't like horses at all. From the time I had my first pony until I went off to college my Grandfather and I would "go ride the fences" which was an excuse to be outside on horseback on Sunday afternoon.

The last time we did this was my senior of college the Sunday before I went back to college in Sept. He had a massive heart attack two weeks later and died. How I cherish that last ride with him.

As far as endurance. When I started I was somewhat obsessive. In the SE the sport was small and growing and it was an outlet of going out and camping and then doing something fun. The RM's provided the service of a well marked trail and camping facilities. Awards were never a big issue. I did about 5 rides a year just because that was all I could manage given my work/travel schedule at the time. One or two years I managed to do 8.

Life has gotten more complicated the past several years and it is more difficult to get away and my riding for many weekends has become more difficult. I probably do two rides a year down and one of those is normally associated with a long trip. In reality I don't need the AERC for such a trip. I am quite capable of finding nice places to ride and go do it. Endurance rides are nice in that there is some security in being at camp with an endurance ride vs. alone in case of an emergency. We've done several trips where we coordinated with the endurance schedule.  For some reason that seems to be getting more difficult to do.

So far me I must say I am close to a tipping point.  Personally I feel the growth and quality of endurance rides rest more in the hands of the local and regional organizations, SERA, UMECTRA, PNER, SEDRA, etc. than in the national organization. Those are the grass roots and growth is going to come from the grass roots.

At what point in cost? That's a good question. However, I do long distance riding. I know plenty of places to camp and ride from Florida to Colorado. I think the bigger question is given it will impact some at what point will the ride managers just give up because they are faced with the choice of raising the entry or taking an unacceptable risk of losing money.  There is I think a risk of a spiral effect.- higher fees leading to fewer members and riders leading to fewer rides, leading to fewer rider as the driving distance becomes prohibitive leading to fewer rides, etc.

Truman

So - I have a two-fold question:

1. why do you do endurance riding?

and

2. at what point would it become too expense for you to do organized (e.g. AERC) endurance riding instead of just getting out and riding  long distances for the fun of it?
(I ask this because AERC is considering a $10 membership dues increase, and $2 rider fee (per ride) increase, as well as $2 drug testing fees increase.)

Steph

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan