Re: [RC] Why I LOVE horses - Mary Howell

Title: Re: Why I LOVE horses
The feeling of FLYING while galloping on my favorite old horse down a familiar trail
Their big dark eyes filled with _expression_ – my old horse with wisdom, my young horse with curiosity
Their empathy (or sometimes indifference!) when you need unconditional love
The sound of their hooves thundering my way when I go outside during a TV commercial and bang a feed bucket The way they forgive all the things I’ve done do to them, from ill-fitting tack to being in a trailer for hours on end

Many years ago, not long after I bought my first horse, the person I was dating at the time was in a bad car accident and never regained consciousness, although he lived 10 more years. In the months following his accident, we made numerous trips to first the hospital and then the long-term care facility. For about six months, the only time I could get my mind off the situation and feel truly happy was while spending time with my horse, who also helped me through some tough times later on with both my career and subsequent relationships. Owning horses has been an effective form of therapy for all life can throw at you, and well worth the expense and commitment.