Re: [RC] OT Tevis - Diane Trefethen

Dick,

Wow! Not knowing you and you not knowing me, had we been in each other's shoes, I would never have skewered you in public like you nailed me. If you had voiced opinions that I disliked, ideas so distasteful that I wanted to insult and demean you just for thinking them, I'd have written you privately to tell you how little I thought of you for mouthing off when you didn't have the balls to actually DO the ride.

So, one by one, no I have never started Tevis. Western States 60 was as close as I ever came to doing that. I used the WS60 as a warm up for the Swanton Pacific 100. That was a ride where you weren't likely to fall off cliffs, there were lots of places to pass and the riders didn't have to micro manage their time in order to finish. Also, the RM didn't change so you got to know her and hopefully get to call her a friend. That may seem small as compared to the ego stroke that a Tevis completion brings, but I think that kind hearts are infinitely more valuable.

2) Congratulations on your 6 Tevis completions. That is a truly enviable record. Sure some really exceptional riders have completed the ride more than you but it shouldn't matter what others have done. You have every right to be very proud of your accomplishment.

3) My interest is not in causing an uproar but preventing one. Tevis is the mother of all Endurance rides. We have a new AERC liability release that will hopefully prevent people from suing AERC, but it won't protect a ride from a protest. If a protest against the Tevis were filed by someone who completed the ride in less than 24 hours but was denied a completion because Tevis Ride Management required that person to finish the ride in even less time than he actually used while simultaneously awarding completions to people who took more time to complete the ride than the protesting rider, the P&G committee would be faced with a very difficult choice. Uphold the AERC rules and embarrass the WSTF or deny the protest and set a precedent that says it is acceptable for rides to arbitrarily impose time penalties on anyone they want.

4) I believe you are correct in suggesting that the ride is too tough for me.

5) I believe you are incorrect in suggesting that the ride is a great one because of the people who have worked for it. From what I have read, it is the trail itself and its history that make it great.

Lastly, your final comment was unnecessarily unkind. True it had a certain ring to it but cleverness did not mitigate your hurtful intent.

Diane Trefethen