[RC] Tevis-OT - Kathie Ford

Hum, this is interesting thread. I'll jump in even though my only attempt in 2005 was a RO self pull at Deadwood being too close to the cutoffs. My fault though. Was tired starting (no sleep week before or night of) and lost focus early.

Interestingly, what nobody has mentioned is that the trail is much longer than it once was. Veteran riders, feel free to jump in here.

So time management is even more important now that it was before.

I was told by some of my veteran friends that have done Tevis that at one time is was about 86 miles. Boyd Zontelli's record I believe still stands at 10:46. True he had an incredible horse, trained in the LA canyons etc. But I was told by a rider that rode that same year, it was a faster trail then anyway due to it's length at that time.

I was also told that as it increased  in length so did the finishing times obviously.  Duh, anybody can see that...Was told it probably averaged 95 miles for a decade or so then increased again due to differeing circumstances and trail issues.  Now, currently I was told it is OVER 100 miles. About 102 or so. One person said 112 but I doubt that figure. With this technical and challenging trail that added mileage apparently does make a difference.

Still, knowing this makes sense w/ the added difficulty to finish in time. Sounds more and more it is becoming a ride for elite horses only...just speculation...do they want this? Who knows...but it is longer.

Remember, used to start at Squaw Valley, now Robie Park behind Tahoe City. Then added different sections here and there like Pucker Pt...in 2006 added that new trail out of Robinson which also backtracks some before sending you back in the correct direction. Even my horse noticed this. lol..she kept looking in the direction we used to go, "Mom, we have to be over HERE!!"  Actually, was funny, but I was impressed of her memory even though she hadn't done it in several years.

Anyway, now Chicken Hawk is added too so a mile, two or three there added.

Then, you have the added exit CRI at Robinson. In 2006 while assisting w/that VC we watched many of the second 1/2 of the riders being turned back to the vets for recheck here. We noticed that the minimum loss time for those riders as about 10 minutes which can be substantial.  We also noted that almost 100% of those riders did continue on out of Robinson after the rechecks but lost them precious time as well as on a new section that is dramatically longer than just going down the road there like they used to.

So many factors. If you ride that ride, you must manage your time.

Also of note however in regards to starting, I was told that our own local Kathy Perry once started that ride as the very last rider and not only finished but WON it!!!

Bottom line if you ride Tevis, preparation, strategy, LUCK, a great horse, AND TIME MANAGEMENT!!!

I myself lost focus and time so I know it can and will happen.

But wow, what an adventure...riding or crewing...beautiful ride!

My only suggestion on the trail would be to remove Pucker Pt (not needed and unsafe w/the cows up there breaking down the sides of the trail anyway) and then get them straight down the road again. Then would be a true 100.

As for the start, when I did it we had 3 sections. I was in the back of the first...about 100 riders in that one year. EVerybody got out and it didn't seem like much time if any was lost really. You have to jockey for your position anyway prior to the single track.

happy trials,
kathie