[RC] John Henry the Wonder Horse last chapter - Bruce Weary DC

With glowbars on JH's breast collar lighting the way, and a crowd of well wishers sending us
off from behind, we left Foresthill on time, right at 9:00. We were guided down Foresthill Road and through town
by dozens of volunteers. Along the way, pockets of people were hootin' and hollerin' and carryin' on to such an extent
that it caused me to think to myself, "That's okay. I remember my very first beer, too." :)
John Henry's power walk helped us to slowly catch and pass a small group of riders that had gone out before us.
One rider asked, "What kind of horse is that?" "A Walker," I replied. "Apparently!" he said. We headed onto the
Cal-2 trail, and descended into increasing darkness that was softened somewhat by the 3/4 moon that hung in the
humid night air. The switchback turns on this section of the trail are very sharp, and though I had many times been told
to simply trust my horse's night vision, I didn't hesitate to flick my flashlight on for an instant every now and then to make sure
we were negotiating the turns safely. Our group had a somewhat ghostly appearance as a line of glow bars floating three feet off the ground,
and traveling single file ever downward to the American River below. John Henry led much of the way, as the riders behind
liked being able to see his glowbars, and his gaiting helped us cover ground faster than a walk, but not as fast as a trot, which some were
reluctant to do in this much darkness.
I had seen this section in the daylight, and it is very precarious in places. Some who have seen it in the daylight, have refused to ride it
at night. However, the darkness mercifully makes it very difficult to actually see the scary parts, so, we continued steadily on through the night toward
our next goal--Francisco's. Located some 17 miles from Foresthill, even though we kept moving constantly, it took our group four hours
to reach Francisco's, where we were greeted by reassuring bright lights and the friendliest and most nurturing
volunteers I had met all day. Francisco's is historically famous for that. John Henry was at 60 when we arrived, and he
dragged me to the water and then some wet alfalfa, as he began putting himself together for the last stretch of trail. We vetted out without
incident, and I lingered a few minutes and had a sandwich and a cup of coffee while JH chowed down some more.
We said goodbye to the volunteers and stepped back into the darkness on our way to the waters of the American River, now
only some three miles away. As we approached the river's edge, there were several horses in front of us, and John Henry
became unruly, fighting to get around them and into the water. After a few expletives from me, I allowed him to crash into the water, forgetting
to lift my feet and legs clear of the water's surface. You know that deep breath you take when someone
dumps ice down the back of your shirt? Yeah, that's the one that hit me as my legs became instantly soaked in the chilly
but refreshing American River. John Henry had planted himself and began drinking like a Shriner at a NASCAR race.
We climbed out the other side, and from that point on, I had trouble rating John Henry. He knew the trail, as he had seen
it on the Educational Ride, and apparently his own personal homing device kicked in as he hammered his way down the trail on our
way to the Lower Quarry vet check. Some of the faster horses had left us at that point, as time was getting short, and most riders
had concerns about making cutoff times. The overwhelmingly bright lights of Lower Quarry were soon in view, and we made our
way down the short, steep trail into the vet check which offered a smorgasboard of food, warm blankets, bleary-eyed but cheerful
volunteers, and of course, the vets. After we vetted out, I checked the time, and saw that it was 3:20, and realized that we had better get
moving, as we still had six miles of dark trail to negotiate. I later found out that my wife and crew were becoming increasingly
nervous about my arriving on time, due to the late hour, and the time delay in the reports they were receiving as to our
location.
I left Lower Quarry and followed Steve Hallmark, a local who knows the trail. It was very dark, and the glow bars had become
few and far between, and I would have been very reluctant to move along quickly along this section, as I had ridden it in the daytime,
and I knew there were rocky sections that could be tricky. I owe thanks to Steve, who somehow knew when we could trot and when we needed to walk,
and we marched toward Auburn, with the clock ticking down. Finally, we reached the last single track that leads to the Auburn overlook,
and as I glanced over my left shoulder, I could see the lights of the finish line, and could hear the faint hum of the generators
that gave them life. In just a few short seconds, we emerged out the darkness, arriving at 4:56, with just 19 minutes to spare.We were met with applause, cheering, whistling, bright lights, and a very welcome water tank for John Henry. I sifted through the small but mighty crowd to find my wife, who
was sobbing on her cell phone. Julie Suhr had waited at the finish line until around three in the morning, and finally had to retire, but not before
admonishing Dayna to call her the moment we crossed the finish line. I would love to hear a recording of that conversation. I asked Dayna
later what was said, and she replied, "I don't really know. We were both crying so much I couldn't understand everything she said. She did
say to go take care of you and John Henry."
My wife knows that I am often unable to speak when I am emotional, so I grabbed her and hugged her for a very long time,
as much to regain my composure as to thank her. "You finally did it!" she said. "John Henry did it. I was just along for the ride,"
was my answer.
Michele Roush tracked JH's pulse from the moment we arrived, and she quietly told me to follow her as she led him to the vetting area, and told
me he was down and ready to present. The vet checked him over, pronounced him at 60 bpm, and asked for the trot out.
Michele trotted him out and before she could turn around and trot back, the vet turned to me, shook my hand and said:
"Congratulations, you're done." I must have set a world record for hugging the greatest number of women in the shortest period of time after that.

We led JH to McCann Stadium, and though there were only about three people in the stands, we took our victory lap.
John Henry gaited the entire way around, looking sharp and sound. We peeled his saddle off, and led him off to shack up
with Crickett, and to get some much needed rest and chow. Dayna had laid out about ten glasses and two bottles of Champagne
for each of us to toast the night, which was quickly becoming day. A glowing satisfaction flowed over all of us, that persists, and likely will
for some time.

Next: "The Gifts of Tevis"........................... and then I really need to get some work done. :)