Re: [RC] Mongol Derby- interesting politics-NOT envious - Barbara McCrary

After seeing the great numbers of horses each herder owns, after seeing the stallion(s) run loose with the herd all the time, understanding that the attitude is "he who owns the most horses is the wealthiest or has the highest ranking", I can believe your comment below.  These animals are NOT pets, they are working animals, and death is as normal as life.  They don't have vets at their beck and call and don't have the money to pay one if there were one close by.  And...if you don't have the money to pay for a vet, you let Nature take its course.  Of course, racing a horse to death, should that happen, is not natural, but still, one has to see this from their viewpoint.  It's not our way, but we aren't superior in the way we live or treat our animals, either.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Mongol Derby- interesting politics-NOT envious

On Jul 28, 2009, at 5:16 AM, oddfarm wrote:

I received an interesting e-mail from Michael Beesley asking for signatures to stop the race on behalf of Linda Tellington-Jones. His e-mail states that in the recent traditional Nadaam horse race in which the children ride, eighteen horses died from exhaustion. True? I don't know.

I don't know either, but I do recall a conversation with my vet - a LONG time ago - regarding his trip to Mongolia.  He was there as part of a team to help elevate the care the horses received in general.  Now - this was a long time ago, so I only have impressions left from that conversation.  However - my impression is that the Mongols have a very different outlook on horse care.  Basically - if a horse dies as a result of one of these races, too bad ... it must have been weak, so it shouldn't have been used for breeding, anyway.