[RC] How did the UAE get in on it (was Mongol Derby...) - k s swigart

Barbara McCrary said:

How did the UAE get in on this, and what right
?do they have to "not support" the Mongol Derby?
?I didn't realize they had any connection at all
?to the Derby. Would someone enlighten me?
?
I will be speculating, but here goes....
?
The UAE "got in on this" because the Long Riders Guild (LRG) sent scathing
letters about the event and its organizers to the President of the FEI asking
her to do something about it.? Because the event is not an FEI sanctioned event
(and there is no way that it could be) and Mongolia is not a current member of
the FEI, the FEI cannot officially do anything about it. And representatives of
the FEI (according the the LRG) informed them of this, but the LRG was not
satisfied and decided to throw around public accusations that subsequent
attempts at communication remained unreturned (and, if you ask me, with good
reason...it reminds me of a line from Monty Python's Life of Brian "There's no
pleasing some people").
?
So I am guessing that the President of the FEI got in touch with her husband
who is higly placed in the UAE government (I think president, but I don't keep
all that straight, my bad) and asked him if HE would "do something about it."
?
And what he decided to do about it was to provide?and underwrite veterinary
support for the horses before during and after the event (thinking that this
would address the stated concerns of the LRG????).
?
So, my understanding is that the UAE government working through the Mongolian
government IS providing support for the horses in the event, but that the FEI
is not, because, well....it is not an FEI event, never has been, and Mongolia
is not a current member of the FEI. And the FEI's only role in the whole thing
was to facilitate the conversations between the actual parties who are
"supporting" it.
?
And now the LRG is peeved because it was hoping by sending its letters of
complaint to the FEI and publishing them for all the world to see that what the
FEI would do about it was to join them in trying to put a stop to the event,
only for it to have the opposite effect and was able (if indirectly) to provide
additional support.
?
And instead of being pleased that the welfare of the horses (their purported
concern) in the event were now going to have access to world class veterinary
care (instead of the locally trained vets that already had been lined up), they
were outraged, and so published another scathing missive slinging mud at God
and everybody (hyperbole) going off on tangents that are completely unrelated
to the event in question.
?
The whole thing with the Long Rider's Guild would be quite funny if it weren't
so pathetic. Actually, I confess to having a sufficiently perverse sense of
humor to find it funny anyway.? I mightn't if I were actually involved in the
event instead of just reading about it.? But The Adverturists do strike me as
also having a bit of a perverse sense of humor, so they may find it quite funny
as well.
?
kat
Orange County, Calif.