[RC] Washing a HAF pad - Dream Weaver

At 01:12 PM 7/15/2009, you wrote:
Has anybody washed their HAF pad in the washing machine or even the
dishwasher?  I can't remove the inserts from mine, they're sewn in...was
wondering if either method would be safe to give it a good deep cleaning?

Hi Jennifer - I usually wash my HAF pads one of two ways: 1) Hose the pad down and while gently washing away any dried hair and sweat - a medium soft (not stiff enough to cause damage) horse brush works good for that. 2) Fill up a bathtub halfway full of lukewarm water, place pad in water and do a happy dance on top of it. Flip pad around two or three different ways and repeat.

Then to dry, squeeze out as much water as you can (standing on it works best, for me) and hang over a hitching post. It will take longer to dry if the inserts are in the pad. With my HAF pads I am always trying to move the trim more upwards, away from the horse so that it doesn't rub. The best time to do this is while everything is wet. This has made a big difference - before I couldn't do multidays on the same horse without the trim edges starting to break hairs off. This year I've been able to do a 5 day ride on the same horse with the same HAF pad all week and had no rubs or hair breakage anywhere.

btw - in case anybody out there is interested, I just recently figured out that the HAF pad that fits on my Freeform, actually fits better on my Bob Marshall saddle. Photos and more musings on that here: http://enduranceridestuff.com/blog/2009/07/musings-saddles-pads-horses/

Karen