Re: [RC] FL registering with NAIS is a benefit? - Truman Prevatt

Lisa,

A couple years ago when I got a passport the vet - Dr. Irby - told me I needed to register. I gave him the info and he signed me up.  The next time I applied for a passport - he called and wanted my NAIS number. They have it on file now.You might want to contact Dr. Irby with your questions. I don't know about an event permit. However, those are only good in GA, FL and AL, whereas the passport is good in 13 states. But I do know I was not able to get a passport without a NAIS number.  Here is an exert from the DOA website.

"The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is now participating in the USDA sponsored National Animal Identification System (NAIS). Anyone requesting a Florida Equine Card will be required to register the location where their horse resides. For more information on the National Animal Identification System you may log on to www.usda.gov/nais. If you have questions regarding the NAIS please email the Department at animalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx."

Here is the website - http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/ai/main/equine_ecard.shtml.  I think it's stated pretty clearly there.

Truman

oddfarm wrote:
Truman, I am pretty sure the nice ID card has been available since way before NAIS. I can get that, or the six month health certificates without being registered. Same price. I'll bet you don't get through the Ag station any faster than I do. Just how important is the Ag station anyway when 9 out 10 times they don't even come out to look at your horses? Especially in the summer. Hmm.

I refuse to sign up for NAIS. I don't even get licenses for my pets anymore. That is such a joke. One of the first things that gets cut in the budget besides parks, is animal control. Where does all that licensing money go to then and for what purpose? To balance a budget??

I know, signing up for NAIS is free. No it's not. It's gonna cost us taxpayers when we least expect it. A tax on livestock? Just wait and see. Tractors and fencing and barns, oh my I see a crap load of taxable income for the government. I can't believe I'm still paying "tangible taxes" for the 7th and thankfully last year. How did we let government charge us taxes for the same stuff for SEVEN YEARS???

Yeah, the NAIS sounds like a great idea.

Lisa Salas, The Odd farm

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan