Re: [RC] This is worth reading - Truman Prevatt

Title: “I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience
Nope. I asked the state vet about it and he said that was a "bunch of bunk being propagated by the opponents." The thing it does do is make it one hell of a lot quicker for me getting in and out of FL. It gives me a legal identification for my horses which can be used for ID. Show the cards, they scan them in their computer? and maybe look at the horses and your good to go. In reality it's made my life a lot easier. Now I can travel in the SE from VA, KY South and OK East on the passport which is good for six months with out getting a new health certificate every 30 days.

What the state vet has said the are working toward is to have all horses with Coggins exams in FL in a data base (many already are http://www.globalvetlink.com/). If these horses are chipped - one scan and it goes into the horses record and automatic tracking. Eventually when you go through the FL ag stops - they will be able to scan from the booth and you are on your way. They are getting set up to do that with a grant from the USDA. FL was the test site for the online database. Eventually - again according to the FL DOA, the on-line data base will eventually be made available state wide to all law enforcement - along with pictures of the horses so they can be used to help identify lost or stolen horses.

Right now my vet comes out draws blood for a Coggins ships it off to the lab. He goes on-line and fills out the paperwork. The lab runs the sample, goes on-line with the sample number fills in the results and digitally signs it and an Email is sent to the vet. He goes on-line and digitally signs the Coggins and downloads a pdf of the Coggins. He emails me the Coggins PDF. I print it out. Same thing for the health certificate. The vet goes on line fills out the health certificate form, digitally signs it and downloads a pdf and emails it to me.? I then can mail a copy of my Coggins and heath certificate along with pictures of my horse to the state vet with the request (this requires an NAIS number) and within a week I have my Coggins ID card or Equine Passport.?

I think like anything else these days - there is a lot of hype, half truths, paranoia and political posturing concerning NAIS.? From what I have seen - the benefits have been all positive.
Or like the song goes.

"...Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away
We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down... ;-) "

Truman

Sandy Adams wrote:
so... from my reading the language of the proposals of NAIS, theoretically, I would have to report every single time a horse leaves our premises. The government (who BTW cannot balance a budget or pay their own taxes) has the right to come on our property any time they please to see....what?? SO... if I hop on my horse bareback to go get the mail a 1/2 mile form our house, I have to report it. If I walk my horse(s) across the street for vaccs at our local vet clinic, i have to report it. BOy, Truman, with all due respect - and lots of that to you, I do not want this larcenous, lying and arrogant set of politicians having any more access to our private lives than they already have. We already have the CAR CZAR, the TAX CZAR and how may others. Guess we would get a HORSE CZAR? As Nero fiddles....