Re: [RC] hot, HUMID, riding - Truman Prevatt

Title: “I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience
The GERA ride in North GA a few weeks ago - about 95 both days with moderate to high humidity. I don't believe there was any significant treatments. There was a little cramping but nothing of any consequence. However, the horses were use to it since they lived in the SE. I did Blazing Saddles (down near Laural, MS) a couple years in mid May it was probably 95 or better. My horse was fine - I couldn't go back out as the heat got to me.

Ed is right when you condition, hose them off when you get home. Not only does it cool them - it gets all the dirt, salt and grime off which has got o make them feel better. It makes my feel so good they go roll in a sand pile :-) .  Give you horse time to get used to the heat. I ride all summer in Florida.

Sisu West Ranch wrote:

2.  This also reads on the latest push by the vet committee and Susan G. to decrease the recovery time post ride to 30 minutes.  The vets that are pushing for this seem to come from the West.  They do not have a real concept of the amount of work/water it can take to rapidly cool a horse in humidity.  They figure that a fit horse should be down in a few minutes especially if someone splashes a little water on them.  My experience is that it can take a lot of work and lots of water to cool a hot horse at the end of a humid ride.  It can be done, but I personally feel that all concerned are better off if the horse can take an hour to relax and eat instead of being aggressively cooled.

That is a very good point, Ed. Areas such as the SE, MW and CT regions enjoy high eat and humidity during much of the riding season. It does make a difference - one I'm not sure our fields in the semi-arid areas appreciate.

Truman

--

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan