Re: [RC] The warning to Mongol Riders - k s swigart

From: Lif Strand lif.strand@xxxxxxxxx

My concern has been and continues to be that in so much of
?what they say about risk (see your above quote from their warning,
for example) little to none is about the horse.

That is because there IS very little risk to the horses.? The horses are not
going to be facing unfamiliar terrain, they LIVE there.? The horses are not
going to be facing unfamiliar food, they will be eating what they always eat,
doing what they always do.? These ponies in the wild cover 25 miles a day
foraging for food. They aren't going to be asked to do much more than what they
do every day of their lives, and will probably get more veterinary attention
than if the race had never happened.??The ponies might end up being better off
than if they hadn't done it.

?Everything is about the human's risk: ?the human chance of
?pain, injury, death.

That's because that is where the substantial risks lie.? And the event was
specifically DESIGNED to be this way.? The whole idea was to make it a test for
the people but NOT for the horses.? How many times have we heard here on
Ridecamp (in the endless LD debate) that 25 miles is not a test of endurance
for a horse?? I cannot COUNT the number of times that somebody here has said
that you can take a horse out of a pasture and do 25 miles on it (I have even
heard the Duck say that if you have a horse in your pasture that you cannot
just take out and do 25 miles on it, then that horse isn't worth feeding).

?Where are the warnings about risk for the Mongolian ponies?
??I don't see that anywhere. ?All I see is how Mongolian ponies
?can handle all this just fine

Probably because they will be able to handle it just fine because they aren't
going to be asked to do much more than they normally do, and they are probably
going to be fussed over and cared for more than they normally would be.

?(see my email of yesterday re concerns about their not being conditioned,
?trained, wormed, the riders having little to no experience with long distance
?riding, etc).

One of the two riders who did the Ride Across the Americas (Cape Horn South
America to Prudhoe Bay Alaska) had never been on a horse before in his life.
And the one horse that did the whole trip (Sufridor) all 6000+ miles of it not
just 25, was a 14 hh pony.? Easyboot and Purina Mills were among the sponsors
for that event, perhaps we should boycott them too for daring to sponsor such
an ill-conceived adventure.

?These aren't equines that the riders own, have established feelings
?for or will have time to establish a relationship with.

They aren't horses that anybody here owns or has established feelings for or
has a relationship with either.? So, of course, since nobody here owns the
horses, then nobody here has any claim to caring about them any more than any
of the race participants does...oh yeah, except for that little fact that the
lives of the race participants may depend upon the welfare of that pony they
don't own, whereas everybody here has no personal stake in the welfare of any
of the horses at all.

It is downright insulting to suggest that any of us sitting at our computers
half a world away cares more about any of these horses than the people who may
be staking their very lives on the horses' well being. We, here in our
armchairs, care deeply about the welfare of every horse on the planet, but
those other horse people who are riding in this event cannot be counted on to
care about any horse that they don't own because they don't have a relationship
with it.? What self-righteous hogwash!

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

p.s.? To put into perspective just what is going to be asked of the horses in
this event:? In order to finish in under the time allowed (two weeks), and
assuming that the riders will be riding only 12 hours a day (there are ~14
hours of daylight but I used 12 hours because AERC riders routinely ride 12
hours a day on multi-day rides) the participants will have to average about 3.7
mph.? Not as fast as was required for the 2001 XP of horses that had to go at
least twice as far at a time, and more often than just once.

To put into perspective just what is going to be asked of the riders in this
event: Yes, they will have to do 12 hours a day for two weeks, but might I
remind you that Tribly Pederson, who routinely took all of or more than the 12
hours allowed to do an AERC 50 mile ride, was capable of doing so, day in and
day out despite the fact that she was well into her 60s, physically infirm, and
incapable of even getting on her horse without a mounting block.? She did it
for petty much 12 hours a day, 5 days a week for 8 weeks.