[RC] And herein lies the real source of complaint (was: Christophin Mongolia) - Melissa Margetts

Kat wrote on 7/1:
As near as I can see it, this event has all the makings of being an excellent test of true horsemanship combined with ingenuity, perseverance, planning and adaptability. This, as much as any other horse event I have ever heard of, is the absolute poster child for the motto "to finish is to win."

Kat also wrote on 7/2:
And being a "risk taker" myself, I can guarantee you, that if all the
participants who are signed up for this event are also died in the wool risk takers, that
not a one of them is going to ride their horses into the ground out in the middle of the
Steppes of Mongolia.

Are you that confident that you are willing to make a substantial wager on that Kat? But first of all, I do NOT, NOT, NOT support this race as is in ANY way! Let me make clear to you that my comment and confidence in Christoph's ability, extensive endurance and racing experience, repeated exposure and knowledge of riding specifically Mongolian ponies, his knowledge of the terrain, customs and food, his light weight, his willingness to get OFF the damn horse and run himself more than he makes the horse run, his understanding of horse physiology which comes from YEARS of experience, (not a two day training session) his personal experience in spotting and treating a horse before or if it gets into trouble plus his mere bazillion miles of completions to few pulls, is what makes me believe that he would be one of the FEW adequately, all-around horse-specific-adventure-savvy contestants for this race that I personally know and I WOULD cheer him on. REALITY IS, there are FEW if ANY participants in this race who have that particular TYPE of equine knowledge and experience. So few in fact, that that is one of the main things that tips the scale so far against the acceptability of this ride. These riders have so few OTHER knowledgeable fellow participants to glean help and horse guidance from. So I hold firm in my opinion that I do NOT condone this race in ANY way.
That said, NOW IF, the ONLY riders who WERE allowed in this race were world class riders, I would certainly feel better but still not confident about the questionable veterinary monitoring and choice of horses for this type of event. It would need a hell of a lot more oversite to get my confidence. Starting with a fully supplied, and experienced equine vet actually manning the stations instead of JUST the Mongolian herdsmen, who stays there throughout the race to monitor all these small horses going out and coming in, so they will always be within 25 miles of the completing horses, with several vets working the course and watching the current runners on this spread out course where riders can conceivably be as much as a WEEK and hundreds of miles apart. Of course I would feel great if there were one well supplied mobile vet transport vehicle capable of moving injured horses and doing emergency surgery within 400 miles at any one time, but that aint gonna happen and is too much to ask in a third world country where basic HUMAN health care standards are very low let alone vet care standards. Sure if ONLY small & lightweight participants of the caliber of the Christoph's, Meg Wades, John Crandals, Less Carr's, Melissa Ribleys, ( those are just the ones on the top of my head who have thousands of completed miles to VERY few pulls (and damn if the AERC site isn't dead right now so I can't look up the records of the Hall of Famers) and those who have _PROVEN _they can take care of their horses for miles and miles and miles and not let their race-brain overtake their concern for the horse, were in this race, then I'd be thrilled and watching with bated breath to see how the best-of-the-best are doing it. Problem is, the participants in this ride AREN'T the BEST-of-the-BEST, the horses aren't the Best-of the Best, the veterinary emergency capabilities in a third world country isn't the Best-of-the-Best, the support capabilities aren't the Best-of-the-Best.
So back to that wager Kat, Are you really willing to bet that "YOU GUARANTEE THAT NOT ONE OF THE RIDERS IN THIS RACE IS GOING TO RUN THEIR HORSES INTO THE GROUND"? You're on. But what a despicable bet.....