Re: [RC] OUTRAGE - the Mongol Derby - Lif Strand

I decided what the heck, and sent the following to Pres. Obama:

"Mr. Obama: The largest non-sanctioned endurance race ever attempted is set to be run this summer in Mongolia. Nearly a thousand under-sized native horses have been drafted into an effort which deliberately flaunts international endurance racing rules. Worse, none of the 25 amateur riders have any previous endurance riding experience and all will be riding Mongolian ponies they have never met before. No safety arrangements are provided by the promoter, no water or food for the ponies, inadequate numbers or no veterinarians - how many of the 800 equines will be dead before they reach the 1000 km line, how many more will die afterwards as a result of the abuse they will receive?

"The US has a great organization, AERC (www.aerc.org) that has overseen endurance riding in North America for decades. AERC is the founder of the sport as we know it today, and the world looks to American endurance riding to provide the best and highest examples of long distance competitive horsemanship. The Mongol Derby, which uses no AERC rules set to protect the equines involved, which provides no food or water for the horses, and which does not require any endurance competition experience of the riders, is an insult to endurance riders everywhere.

"As a President who demonstrates concern for people all over the world, I beg you to consider the equines of the world too, by investigating the Mongol Derby - guaranteed to leave a trail of dead and dying Mongolian ponies on the trail - and do whatever you can to prevent this event from killing horses and setting a terrible precedent which will set the legitimate sport of endurance riding back 50 years."

Thank you.

I sent similar emails to my legislators as well. I sent an email to Mercy Corps (with CC to the Mongol Derby people) about their involvement. I sent an email to other horse lists I'm on, and put info on my Facebook & Twitter pages. I even sent an email to PETA. I hope I don't end up regretting that last one.

Lif C. Strand
Local Economic Development
Catron County, New Mexico USA

www.critterwalls.com