Re: [RC] OUTRAGE - the Mongol Derby - Barbara McCrary

From our experience in Mongolia in 2007, most of the riders use a snaffle bit so much like the Myler with the slightly curved mouthpiece (so as to be easier on the corners of the mouth), one wonders if the Mylers didn't snitch the idea from the Mongolians.
To them, horses are a tool, not a pet, and consequently they don't seem to be as sympathetic about lameness, galls, etc. as we Americans who consider horses pets or family or whatever.  They do, however, value them as tools, and as an indicator of their "wealth."  The more horses, the more status.  Those little horses, about all 13 hands of them, are tougher than nails.  Between their horses and their archers, the Mongols conquered more of the known world than any other group of warriors.  There is Mongol blood in many Europeans, including myself (whose father was Russian.)

These are comments and observations, not judgment on how the Mongols treat their horses.  When one is traveling in THEIR country, one does not judge them.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:59 AM
Subject: FW: [RC] OUTRAGE - the Mongol Derby

From the Long Riders' attack on the Mongol Derby, this putative quote from Genghis Khan:

?Take care of the horses before they lose condition. For once they have lost it, you may spare them as much as you will, they will never recover it on the march. Don?t overload the riding horses, and no horse on the march is to use a bit. If these orders are disobeyed commanders are authorized to behead offenders on the spot, so as to protect the welfare of the horses,? the great Khan warned.

Putting aside for the moment the question of the authenticity of the source, why would the world's greatest horseman find the use of the bit so heinous as to require the execution of the rider?

(Personally, I ride with a sidepull, but to my mind the benefits over the bit to the horse are not worth someone's head.)

Regards,

Mike Sherrell
Grizzly Analytical (USA)
707 887 2919; fax = 707 887 9834