[RC] [Endurance Riding: News] Mongolia: Riders prepare for Mongol Derby:toughest ... - Merri

Horseandhound.co.uk - Full Article

Amy Mathieson, H&H news writer

This summer 26 riders will tackle the Mongol Derby — dubbed the longest and toughest horserace in the world.

The race, which runs for the first time this year, is over 1,000km of wilderness in Mongolia and is billed as the "biggest, baddest equine affair on the planet".

"It's dangerous, it's unsupported and you could die," warn Bristol-based organisers The Adventurists on the race's website, www.mongolderby.theadventurists.com.

Twelve of the 26 riders are British, while other competitors come from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, Denmark, America and Spain.

"We had about 100 applications and selected just 26," said a spokesman for The Adventurists. "We have polo players, endurance riders, eventers, amateur point-to-point jockeys and more. They are all experienced riders."

More...

--
Posted By Merri to Endurance Riding: News at 6/24/2009 09:29:00 AM